Podtape bringing that Absolute Botswana Hiphop




This week Bots Blog has an exclusive interview with the man behind Podtape, James Kebu


Now Podtape according to me is a huge leap in the local Hip Hop industry to put out local musicians on the global platform.

Ok for those who don't know Podtape is an pre-recorded  internet show[Podcast] which complies and broadcasts a series of episodes with the aim of sharing local Hip Hop and Lounge music.


So here are the few words I got to share with James Kebu

*Where is James Kebu really from*

I grew up in Lobatse, not born there but my earliest memories begin in the capital kasi of Botswana. At age 11, I caught a plane to Stockholm, Sweden, where I lived for 6 years.

*What sort of music did you grow up listening to How has it influenced you life*

While in Lobatse, my first dosage of hip hop was due to my elder brother. I only saw him every quarter of the year, when he came home for holidays from boarding school. He'd come home with tapes of rap music [NWA, Public Enemy, Kool Moe D], & would 'school' me on what good music is. This opened my inner ear to rap, so the likes of Mc Hammer, Vanilla Ice & Kriss Kross took a hold on me [at that time].

Sweden taught me there's more to rap than just sagging your denim, or wearing your clothes backwards. I discovered a culture known as hip hop. In Stockholm there was a lot more kids that not only looked cool sporting the latest Air Jordans & Timberlands, but they actually took part in hip hop, be it rapping, break dancing, graffiti art or dj-ing. They participated, played a part & aimed to perfect their skill in the chosen field.

In Stockholm, hip hop was a way of life that I perceived was accepted by society. But when I came home [Lobatse] for holidays, I felt alienated by my new found love for hip hop. My elders did not approve of the oversized clothing I would wear [one of my aunts' comments was that I resembled a starving child in Ethiopia]. My age mates made fun of the twang I developed in my speech patterns. & those that considered themselves hip hop were not impressive, either kids would rap bars from their favorite artists, or their written material sounded as an appalling rendition of nursery rhymes.

*How did your love for music lead to you deciding to make the Show*

the dj aspect of hip hop is what drew me into the music. I was too young to attend the concerts held in Stockholm, but managed to sneak in to the likes of Cannibal Ox, The Roots, and Busta Rhymes. The dj would always spin vinyl that I'd never heard, but that good stuff that had me going to a record shop the next day to do some research, to look for that track I heard & find out who the artist is.

One of the radio stations in Stockholm had a weekly hip hop dj set, which I always recorded on a cassette tape. Unlike today, the dj back then used to play hip hop music that was not main stream, or that was not on constant rotation on MTV. I enjoyed learning what is out there from a dj set, but today the dj plays what already saturates the radio. A dj set back then was guaranteed good music, today I tend to listen with a critic's ear, anticipating disappointment after each track. The likes of The Beat Premiers always keep me on my feet, until they throw in a track to please the other people standing around in the crowd not feeling 'real' hip hop.

Fast-forward to 2009, I took a step back & acknowledged that Botswana has good hip hop that appeals to me, that sounds as dope as the hip hop that raised me.

I've had an internship stint at Yarona FM, browsed the music library & found some good stuff that I consider good stuff. But I can't say I've ever heard that good stuff get played on air, if at all then it was not as regular as the popular music that's playing right now.

*Explain what Podtape is*
then there was Podtape!

Podtape is my response to bad hip hop music. I do understand the notion 'each to their own', so I have decided to be selfish & do what is in my means, to have a playlist that appeals to me first. In the process, I realize how music has grown from being joints you bump for enjoyment, to business. So I settled for Botswana hip hop, not all Botswana but only that which appeals to me.

Podtape is inspired by the beautiful music I stumble upon when visiting a producer. The producer would play songs he made, yet these songs may never see the light of day, due to paperwork, or that the producer is not a common household name [politics]. Yet that very music is what I wish a dj would throw in their set at any party.

Podtape is inspired by emcees/rappers who I believe have dope material, yet due to their relations with relevant broadcasting staff members, they may never be heard.

Podtape is inspired by any rapper right now who is the talk of hip hop. It all starts somewhere, no matter how international you are, there is a point in history when you battled to break into a local market.

Podtape is inspired by Botswana's current president & the former 3 presidents. Instead of people depending on government to solve their issues, do what you can to help yourself, & maybe help the populous in the long run. It was not enough for me to complain about how radio does not play my kind of jams, so I decided to run a show that plays my kind of jams. For anyone who does not enjoy Podtape, please go ahead & start your own establishment.

Podtape is inspired by Khama III. I would like to do for Botswana hip hop what Khama did for Bechuanaland Protectorate.


*Procedure of sending tracks,*

If I could afford to jump in a combi all day every day, to circulate the city collecting tracks, I would. If I had the means of traveling around the country to source my kind of hip hop, I would do so in the name of Podtape. But being broke is childish & my funds are toddlers.

A method I comprise is through internet [podtape@email.com], an email address for artists to send me their material. Another option could be to give out my home address, so artists could come by the house & drop off material. Though I feel that would be an invasion on my personal space. Soon as I set up an office for Podtape, I will then reach out to those without internet access, to come by & drop tracks.

I do on occasion arrange with an artist to meet up & collect their material.


*What type of Hip Hop you play on the Show,*

Back when I started listening to rap music, that is all it was called – rap. Today there have been a lot of labels attached, that even I cannot keep up with. On Podtape I play hip hop that appeals to me, regardless of what society may call it. Underground, commercial, crunk, conscious, motswako…
if I feel it, it gets on Podtape.

The hip hop has to be either made in Botswana, made by a Motswana or feature a Motswana. The only way 50Cent could get played on Podtape, is if he recorded his song in Botswana, had a Motswana producer, or features a Motswana on the track, & the track would have to appeal to me [50Cent???].

*Why play that type of Hip Hop only*

I love that type of hip hop

*Is Podtape making profit from the show?

Podtape is not making any money whatsoever. I spend more doe on transportation to get & give Podtape.

*What would you like to say to organizations in terms of sponsorship for the show

Show me the money!


*What are your Future Plans for Podtape??
To get Podtape more accessible, taken more seriously, & get paid.
*Where do you see Podtape in the next 5-10 years*
Podtape could be the next big thing, it could be nothing. But in 5 – 10 years, I foresee dope hip hop coming out of Botswana due to Podtape.
*What challenges have you faced when coming up with the show, making episodes and such?*
Not having tracks, not having internet, not having studio time, not having a memory stick, not having a pc, not having combi fare, not having airtime, not having a clue what to put on next Podtape.
*What would you like to say to local Emcees, producers out there?*
Emcees & producers don't always have their material put on blast on radio, yet the rush hour traffic is nonexistent to flood Podtape. Some artists hear their material once & forget how it got there, the procedure of sending in more tracks becomes foreign territory, or they're still celebrating the moment. I would like for emcees & producers to keep me downloading [dope Podtape standard] tracks from podtape@email.com on the regular. Surely then I'd have more Podtape shows to drop.
*do you plan on Taking Podtape to local radio? , as a show on one of the local stations?*
Not everyone has internet, I'd like Podtape to be a local household name, and radio would be the best medium. [Sold, to the highest bidder]

 
Check out The Podtape here:
http://www.podtape.mypodcast.com 






BOTS BLOG WOULD ALSO LIKE TO GIVE A BIG SHOUT OUT TO 8TIES BABY FOR THE PHOTO'S.KEEP DOING WATCHU DOING..

keep your eyes locked on here for more on 8ties baby.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites